Even though Dalmatian is the first breed that comes to our mind when speaking about black and white coat, there are many other dog breeds all over the world that share this feature. Portuguese water dog, Border Collie, Boston Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, Japanese Chin – these are just some examples.
If you’re just about to adopt a black and white puppy, it’s worth underlining its beauty with an appropriate name. We’ve gathered some ideas so that you don’t have to search for long! Explore the names for black and white pets listed below and choose this one that matches your pup’s personality and look.
101 Dalmatians dog names
Dalmatian is one of the most recognized black and white breeds. Disney’s animated film based on a book with the same name has made it even more famous. After it premiered at the cinemas in 1961, all the kids started dreaming about having Dalmatian as a pet. And the film has become one of the most successful productions in the studio’s history!
Aside from making the Dalmatian breed famous, it has also popularized one of the most memorable villains – Cruella De Ville. If your doggy has a temper, you could name it after her – after all, her trademark is the black and white hairstyle.
Here are some name ideas based on the famous film:
- Pongo – the father of 101 Dalmatians
- Perdita – the mother of 101 Dalmatines
- Patch – the loudest and the most playful of the pups
- Lucky – cute female puppy with spotted ears
- Penny – female pup with small spots all over her body
- Rolly – slightly overweight male puppy known for his excessive appetite and lovely personality
- Pepper – brave female pup with three big spots on her right ear
- Freckles – a male puppy with a spot between his eyes
Classic black and white dog names
The inspirations for naming your black and white puppy are everywhere! From animated films, through food, to games or minerals – there’s so much to choose from. We’ve gathered the most interesting examples to make it easier for you to pick a name!
- Betty Boop
- Tux (Tuxedo)
Food-inspired white and black dog names
There are not many examples of black and white food, but those listed below are super delicious! Our ideas vary from sweets to Japanese food. Pick the tastiest one for your pup. But beware – every time you call your pet, it may work up an appetite!
Hollywood Golden Era and silent cinema-inspired dog names
When researching the names of black and white dogs, we could not avoid delving into the world of the Hollywood Golden Era. The black and white films are magical, and many of their stars are considered icons until this day. Even if you’re not the biggest fan of this cinematography, you may find the ideas below inspiring. We have something both for the furry boys and girls!
Girl dog names inspired by actresses:
- Greta or Garbo (Greta Garbo, the most famous Hollywood’s Golden Era actress with Swedish origins)
- Rita or Hayworth (Rita Hayworth, one of the biggest stars of Hollywood’s Golden Era, an actress and skilled dancer with Irish-Spanish origins)
- Jean or Harlow (Jean Harlow, one of the most remembered actresses of Hollywood Golden Era, a sex symbol of the 30s)
- Pearl (Pearl White, the muse of surrealists and USSR cinematographers, the first American actress that has gained international fame)
- Carole (Carole Lombard, one of the most famous actresses of the silent cinema era, particularly appreciated for her roles in screwball comedies)
Boy dog names inspired by actors:
- Charlie or Chaplin (Charlie Chaplin, one of the most famous actors and directors in history, and author of an unforgettable tramp character)
- Rudolph or Valentino (Rudolph Valentino, Italian star of a silent film era, remembered for his memorable villain roles)
- Douglas (Douglas Fairbanks, a legendary broadway actor of Jewish origins)
- Max or Linder (Max Linder, an iconic French comedian that has been the biggest inspiration for Charlie Chaplin)
White dog names in different languages
If your dog is a Dalmatian, Harlequin Great Dane, Japanese Chin, or another breed known for a white coat with some black details, you may name it with one of the variations for white. Search for inspirations in different languages!
- Blanca/Blanco (Castellano)
- Blanc (Catalan)
- Zuria (Basque)
- Branca/Branco (Portuguese)
- Abyad (Arabic)
- Beyaz (Turkish)
- Bianca/Bianco (Italian)
- Blanche (French)
- Biała (Polish)
- Bela (Russian)
- Weiß (German)
- Hayan (Korean)
- Shiroi (Japanese)
- Putih (Javanese)
- Lefko (Greek)
- Hvitur (Icelandish)
Best black and white dog name ideas
Researching different dictionaries is fun, but the English language doesn’t lack cute names either. Those below will be a perfect match for any dog with a predominantly white coat. Many of these ideas bring associations with winter, so they’ll be a perfect fit for Siberian Huskies and other black and white breeds that love colder temperatures. And others are just mouth-watering!
Female black and white dog names
Male black and white dog names
- White Paw
As you can see, most of the names we’ve gathered above are two-syllable, short, and easy to pronounce. That’s because they’re easy to use in everyday life. We are not trying to stop you from letting your imagination run wild. However, even the coolest, most creative names will make you tired with time if they’re too long and complicated. You need something easy – particularly if your dog is lively and loves running around. Also, if the puppy has some traumatic past that could cause behavioral issues, choosing a short, usable name is essential. It will make the eventual training much easier!