While many people know that grapes can be harmful to your dog, not as many know why. We will explain what can happen if a dog eats too many grapes and how to prevent it from happening again. We will talk about other healthy snacks for your dog that can replace grapes, as well as how you can tell your dog is suffering from grape poisoning.
How Grape Products Can Cause Poisoning in Dogs
Can dogs eat grapes? Well, if you’re a dog owner, we’re sure you know that grapes carry some dangers to pets. It’s important to be aware of the risks associated with grapes and grape juice. It’s not entirely clear why, grapes and grape juice can cause liver damage and kidney failure in dogs. Especially for those dogs which suffer from diabetes and kidney problems. The levels of sugar in grapes are too high to be given to dogs. Signs of liver damage include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and jaundice. Dogs should never eat grape products or raisins, as they are seriously bad for them. Although there is not a lot of grape residue in your average grape product, the quantity is enough to cause serious damage to a dog’s health.
What You Should Do if Your Pup Ate a Handful of Grapes
If you think your dog has eaten grapes or grape juice, call your veterinarian immediately. There is no specific treatment for liver damage caused by grapes, but early diagnosis and treatment can help improve the dog’s prognosis. The first thing the vet might want to do is induce vomiting. Dogs cannot digest grapes, and they can cause serious health concerns. If one dog eats a handful of grapes, it could be a state of emergency that you should quickly handle.
If you feed your dog this sweet fruit, it can cause serious health problems because dogs’ stomachs will not break down seeds found in grapes. If one dog eats a handful of seedless grapes or one grape with seed, it’s potentially fatal. There are some symptoms you should look for after grape ingestion, one of them is dehydration. This is caused by the fact that canines cannot digest the fruit fully. Your veterinary should warn you against grapes. Symptoms of toxicity in dogs are vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of energy.
Healthy Dog Alternatives to Grapes. Safe for Dogs
Can dogs eat grapes? No! However, there are plenty of other healthy snacks you can give your dog instead. For example:
These are all great alternatives to the harmful fruit. So please be responsible dog owners and keep an eye out for grape products! Even one grape may harm your four-legged friend.
Tips on How to Prevent Fido from Eating Grapes or Even One Grape
Here are a few tips to keep your dog safe from grapes. If you are a dog owner and a grape lover at the same time, it is vital to know that those can be harmful for pets. All you need to do is stick to these guidelines:
- Never leave grapes around in the house in random places;
- make sure they stay stored high or off ground level where dogs can’t reach them:
- never reward Fido with grape treats;
- whenever asked during market trips “can dogs eat grapes?”, say no and agree to other fruits instead;
- as much as possible, avoid going near any type of produce stands unless fully aware of what they sell
Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Grape Poisoning and Toxicity Final Warning
Let’s address the question one last time: Can dogs eat grapes? The truth is, dogs should not eat them. This particular fruit can be harmful for a dog and even lead to death in some cases. If you suspect your pet has eaten any grape products, we urge you to contact the vet immediately or call animal poison control center as soon as possible. Now you know that grapes are toxic and bad for dogs, and that they can cause serious harm such as kidney failure, liver damage, nerve inflammation leading to paralysis, and anemia from blood loss… The list goes on and on! In case of purchasing grapes for yourself, you now have the tips on ways that you can prevent your pups from eating these fruit. Provide healthy alternatives to your pooch, like broccoli and carrots, which will give them all the nutrients they need without risking their health.
- Can Dogs Eat Raisins? Tips for Dog Owners
- Can Cats Eat Grapes? Are They Safe For Cats?
- What Foods Can Dogs Not Eat? List of Toxic Food Dogs Should Never Eat. Poisonous Human Foods Dogs Must Avoid
- Can Dogs Eat Figs? Pros and Cons of Feeding Your Dog This Delicious Fruit and Why You Shouldn’t Let Your Dog Eat Fig Newtons
- Have You Ever Fed Your Dog Strawberries, and Is It Safe for Dogs? Can Dogs Eat Strawberries Leaves or Strawberry Tops?
- Feed Your Best Friend With Our List Of Human Foods Dogs Can Eat: What People Food Is Safe for Dogs?
- Can Cats Eat Blueberries? The Health Benefits are Questionable, and the Risks Are Real
- Can dogs eat limes Or Are Limes Bad For Dogs?