Top 10 Scary Dog Names for Males and Females
Hello Halloween! Haunted houses, creepy sounds, jack-o-lanterns, skeletons, and costumes. If this is your favorite time of the year, you should definitely consider giving your pooch an eerie name. Selecting the right name is very important, so keep it short and simple. Whether you want to name your big furry friend or mini pooch, read on for scary dog names!
Why Choose a Scary Dog Name?
So why would anyone pick a scary name for their dog? If your dog is a member of a scary dog breed, you can absolutely go for one. Also, if you just love Halloween, that is reason enough to do so. And you can pick whatever you like best. So what are the best scary dog names out there?
- Bones – for a pup that loves chewing bones;
- Bullet – for a dog that is quick as a bullet;
- Ghost – for a pup that is white and scary-looking;
- Hades – if you have a pup with an intimidating gaze;
- Jaws – makes sense if your dog has an impressive set of teeth;
- Nightmare – for a pup that gives you chills;
- Diablo – for a pup with an intense gaze;
- Hercules – for a big and strong pup;
- Banshee – for a pup that loves howling;
- Vampire – for a pup with pointy teeth;
- Lucifer – if your pup has a devilish look;
- Maverick – for a pup with an independent attitude;
- Mercy – for a pup with an angelic look;
- Rambo – for a pup that is brave and heroic;
- Thunder – for a pup that loves thunderstorms;
- Tyson – for a pup with a great fighting spirit;
- Venus – for a pup with an adorable look.
Spooky Names for a Puppy Born on Halloween
Another reason for giving your furry friend an eerie name is that they are born on or around Halloween. Let’s be honest – there is no better reason than this! Check out this list of creepy Halloween ideas for dog names:
- Bat – for a pup that loves nights;
- Beast – for a pup that has an intimidating look;
- Bogey – for a pup that loves mischievous activities;
- Boo – for a pup that loves to howl;
- Buffy – for a pup that is brave and strong;
- Casper – for a pup that loves ghost stories;
- Cobweb – for a pup with an unruly coat;
- Dracula – for a pup that loves biting;
- Frankenstein – for a pup that loves horror movies;
- Grim – for a pup that loves gloomy days;
- Hoot – for a pup that loves hooting all night;
- Eclipse – for a pup that loves the dark;
- Freddy – for a pup that loves scratching your couch;
- Ghoul – for a pup that loves the dark and spooky;
- Skeleton – for a pup that is thin and bony;
- Goblin – for a pup with an evil grin;
- Goosebump – for a pup that gives you chills;
- Gremlin – for a pup that loves to misbehave;
- Halloween – obviously;
- Hocus – for a pup that loves to play tricks;
- Monster – for a pup that is extra spooky;
- Ogre – for a pup with an intimidating look;
- Voodoo – for a pup that has magical powers;
- Omen – for a pup with an eerie look;
- Rosemary – for a pup that loves herbs;
- Salem – for a pup born around Halloween;
- Scarecrow – for a pup that loves to play in the garden;
- Serpent – for a pup that loves to slither;
- Sorcerer – for a pup that loves magic;
- Spell – for a pup with an enchanting look;
- Tarot – for a pup with mystical powers;
- Trickster – for a pup that loves pranks;
- Trick and Treat – perfect if you have two dogs;
- Villain – for a pup with an evil grin;
- Wizard – for a pup that is wise and clever;
- Zombie – for a pup with an unhinged look.
Scary Movie Names for Girl Dogs
A good idea is to pick a name from a scary movie or series. Here are some ideas for your girl dog:
- Annabelle – from the horror movie Annabelle;
- Carrie – from the classic horror movie Carrie;
- Bella – from the Twilight saga;
- Buffy – from the Buffy The Vampire Slayer;
- Hermione – from the Harry Potter series (check out more Harry Potter dog names here!);
- Nancy – from A Nightmare On Elm Street;
- Lorena – from The Ring;
- Morticia – from The Addams Family;
- Ursula – from The Little Mermaid;
- Piper – from Charmed;
- Rebekah – from The Vampire Diaries;
- Sabrina – from Sabrina The Teenage Witch;
- Sally – from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas;
- Renesmee – from The Twilight Saga;
- Rosemary – from Rosemary’s Baby;
- Selene – from Underworld;
- Velma – from Scooby-Doo;
- Wednesday – from The Addams Family.
Our Reader’s StoryI never thought I’d have to choose a scary dog name for my pup, but here I am! I wanted something that would reflect my pup’s personality, so I went with something that was both intimidating and playful. After much deliberation, I finally settled on “Shadow”.
Despite his intimidating appearance, Shadow is a gentle giant. He loves to cuddle and play fetch, and he’s always ready for a good belly rub. His name may be scary, but he’s the sweetest pup you’ll ever meet.
Scary Movie Names for a Boy Dog
Similarly, you can name your puppy boy after a fictional character that gives you goosebumps. Check out these scary dog names inspired by famous movie characters.
- Dracula – from the famous book and movie;
- Freddy – from A Nightmare On Elm Street;
- Addams – from The Addams Family;
- Cullen – from The Twilight Saga;
- Godzilla – from the classic monster movie;
- Gomez – from The Addams Family;
- Joker – from DC Comics;
- Gollum – a creature from The Lord of the Rings series;
- Damon – from The Vampire Diaries;
- Draco – from Harry Potter series;
- Emmet – from The Lego Movie;
- Ghostface – from Scream;
- Magnus – from The Mortal Instruments;
- Hannibal – from Hannibal Lecter novels and movies;
- Pugsley – from The Addams Family;
- Silas – from The Vampire Diaries;
- Voldemort – from the Harry Potter series.
Tough Female Dog Names
Got a sweet but tough girl dog? If you want to pick a proper name for her, you can find one in our list below. You will find some really cool tough names!
- Amber – for a Golden Retriever;
- Astra – for a Siberian Husky;
- Cirilla – for a Samoyed;
- Echo – for a Rottweiler;
- Lara – for a German Shepherd;
- Kitana – for a Bulldog;
- Mamba – for a Pitbull;
- Meve – for a Labrador Retriever;
- Puma – for an Australian Shepherd;
- Rogue – for an Alaskan Malamute;
- Storm – for a Malinois;
- Valkyrie – for a Boxer;
- Vega – for an Akita Inu;
- Trixie – for a Chihuahua;
- Ursa – for a Doberman;
- Xena – for a Weimaraner;
- Zelda – for a Shih Tzu;
- Ziva – for a Poodle.
Tough Names for Boy Dogs
Even if your new boy dog is just a puppy, you already know he’s fierce. Or maybe he just looks scary. Be sure to pick a name that will suit his personality. Here are the best scary dog names for boy doggies – inspired by warriors, monsters, and more!
- Ares – for a German Shepherd;
- Bear – for a Bulldog;
- Blake – for a Doberman;
- Cerberus – for a Rottweiler;
- Colossus – for an Akita Inu;
- Brutus – for a Mastiff;
- Drago – for an Alaskan Malamute;
- Dragon – for a Pitbull;
- Falcon – for a Labrador Retriever;
- Goliath – for an American Bulldog;
- Helm – for a Beagle;
- Khan – for a Poodle;
- Loki – for an Australian Shepherd;
- Odin – for a Samoyed;
- Watcher – for a Chihuahua;
- Saber – for a Boxer;
- Thor – for a Weimaraner;
- Valor – for a Shih Tzu;
- Viking – for a Siberian Husky.
Military and Police Dog Names
If you need more ideas for fierce dog names for male dogs, you can get inspired by police and military subjects. These tough military names will all sound perfect!
- Alpha – for a dog who likes to dominate;
- Bomber – for a brave and courageous pup;
- Chaser – for a pup with an energetic attitude;
- Caesar – for a pup with an impressive look;
- Enforcer – for a pup that loves to keep order;
- Captain – for a pup that loves to be in charge;
- Garrison – for a pup with an imposing look;
- Colt – for a small but tough pup;
- Major – for a pup with an important role;
- Delta – for a pup that is determined and brave;
- Hawk – for a pup that is always alert;
- Justice – for a pup that loves justice and order;
- Rex – for a pup that loves to rule;
- Ranger – for an active and brave pup;
- Scout – for a pup that loves exploring;
- Sheriff – for a pup that loves keeping order;
- Sniper – for a pup with an excellent aim;
- Soldier – for a pup that loves to protect;
- Tank – for a big and strong pup;
- Tango – for a pup that loves to help;
- Warrior – for a pup that has an indomitable spirit.
List of Scary Dog Names for Fierce and Strong Dogs
We’ve compiled a list of unrivaled names that perfectly reflect your pup’s personality. From male to female, these powerful monikers will turn heads and draw attention from all who encounter them!
- Bane – for a pup with an intimidating look;
- Barbarian – for a pup that loves to play rough;
- Demon – for a pup that has an evil look;
- Boris – for a pup with a unique personality;
- Fang – for a pup that loves to bite;
- Gargoyle – for an unusual-looking pup;
- Hulk – for a large and strong pup;
- Brute – for a pup with an impressive physique;
- Kraken – for a pup that loves to swim;
- Marauder – for a wild pup;
- Caliber – for a pup with an impressive skill set;
- Chaos – for a pup that loves to cause trouble;
- Freya – for a brave and fearless pup;
- Riptide – for a pup that loves the ocean;
- Mountain – for a pup that loves climbing;
- Savage – for a pup with an aggressive attitude;
- Scar – for a pup that has scars;
- Moloch – for a pup with an imposing look;
- Tarzan – for a wild pup;
- Venom – for a pup with an intimidating gaze.
Tough Dog Names for Badass Pups
With this spooky selection of tough and scary dog names, all that remains is to pick your favorite – but beware! Every single one will send shivers down your spine.
- Atlas – for a fearless pup;
- Axle – for a pup that loves to race;
- Dozer – for a pup that loves to bulldoze;
- Berserker – for a wild and untamed pup;
- Grizzly – for a pup with an intimidating look;
- Geralt – for a pup that loves to explore;
- Rebel – for a pup that loves freedom;
- Samson – for a pup with a great fighting spirit;
- Stark – for a brave and loyal pup;
- Swamp – for a pup that loves water;
- Titan – for an indomitable pup;
- Thunderbolt – for a fast and brave pup;
- Vortex – for a pup with an intense gaze;
- Wolfman – for a furry pup that looks like a wolf;
- Xander – for a courageous pup;
- Zeus – for a pup with a great spirit;
- Zeke – for a pup that loves exploring.
How to Choose a Great Name for Your Pup
It’s time to unleash the perfect identity for your pup! Don’t be mundane, work with friends and family to come up with an amazing scary dog name that expresses their character in all its doggy glory. Try finding inspiration in books, movies or even favorite hobbies; keep them talking about it long after you make your decision. But remember, once chosen – this is forever so choose wisely!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Some Badass Dog Names?
Unleash the inner strength of your pup with an awesomely tough name! Ace, Tank and Spike are just a few examples that capture the indomitable spirit within. Let these names be their battle cry as they protect home-sweet-home from danger.
Who Is the Dog of the Underworld?
Cerberus is the three-headed dog guarding the underworld in Greek Mythology. It’s also a great name for a scary pup!
What Are Scary Dogs Called?
If you want to know what dogs people are usually scared of, the answer is: pit bulls. Rottweilers are another scary breed that isn’t necessarily aggressive, but often perceived as such.
What Is an Aggressive Dog Name?
An aggressive dog name is a name that will help your dog seem more assertive and confident. Some good examples of aggressive dog names are: Thor, Atlas, Viper, and Bane.
What Is German for Devil Dog?
Teufel Hund is the German equivalent of Devil Dog. If you’re considering naming your pup that to honor the Marines, it’s a good idea.
- Halloween Dog Names: Spooky and Funny Ideas for Naming Your Pup
- Strong Dog Names: 70+ Badass, Fierce and Tough Dog Name Ideas for Your Pup
- Dog Names That Start With C: The Best of Puppy Names
- 80+ Badass Cat Names: Ideas for Naming Your Ferocious Feline
- Badass Dog Names for Tough Dogs (Male and Female)
- Halloween Cat Names: Spooky Names for Your Kitty
- Fun Dog Names | The Best of Punny and Funny Names for Dogs
- Dog Names That Start With B | 65+ Male and Female Dog Name Ideas