Strong, playful, and extremely beautiful – Husky is one of the most beloved dog breeds worldwide. Huskies create a strong bond with their owners and are very affectionate. Even though they are close ancestors of the wolves, they’re rather gentle and don’t have aggression issues.
If you are a freshly-made owner of a Husky puppy, we’ve got something for you! To make finding a name easier, we’ve created this list. But before we head to the name ideas, let’s take a closer look at the breed’s history in a nutshell.
A brief history of Husky breed
At first glance, Husky doesn’t make an impression of a strong breed. That’s what the participants of the 1909 All Alaska Sweepstake race would assume after seeing William Goosak with his dog team. They couldn’t have been more wrong! Goosak’s Huskies have not only managed to pass all the 650 km distance but also reached the podium! Since then, the Huskies would gather more and more attention on the American continent as the working and race dogs.
It’s worth noting, however, that for thousands of years, the breed was spread only throughout Siberia. The indigenous tribes (mainly Chuckchas) would live in close symbiosis with Huskies, hunting with their help. When the climate cooled, they started to use them as sled dogs.
Wintery Husky dog names
Due to their origins, Huskies are definitely not made to live in the hot climate. They can survive it, but they’ll be much happier when surrounded by snow. It’s worth celebrating it by giving them winter-inspired husky names. They’ll fit perfectly to their partially white coat and icy blue eyes. Here are some ideas that may inspire you!
Mountainous husky dog names
Huskies are known for their physical strength and infinite energy, so why not name them with some mountain-inspired name? We’ve gathered icy peaks from around the world to save you some research. Some of those might be a great match, particularly if you’re a climbing passionate!
- Everest (8848 above sea level)
- Lhotse (8501 above sea level)
- Makalu (8481 above sea level)
- Annapurna (8091 above sea level)
- Cho Oyu (8153 above sea level)
- Manaslu (8156 above sea level)
- Monch (4110 above sea level)
- Gran Paradiso (4061 above sea level)
- Adamello (3539 above sea level)
- Mont Blanc (4809 above sea level)
- Matterhorn (4478 above sea level)
- Denali/McKinley (6190 above sea level)
- Shasta (4322 above sea level)
- Bona (5005 above sea level)
- Sanford (4949 above sea level)
- Kilimanjaro (5895 above sea level)
Siberian Husky names
As we’ve already mentioned, Huskies originally come from Siberia, which explains their affection for the harsh climate. So, drawing inspiration from this vast region’s most iconic spots may not be such a bad idea!
- Yakutsk (One of the biggest cities in Siberia)
- Baikal (The oldest and the deepest lake in the world located in the Asian part of Russia)
- Kamchatka (the Siberian peninsula dividing the Sea of Okhotsk and the Bering Sea)
- Sopka (or rather Kluchevska Sopka, a volcano on Kamchatka peninsula with 4750 meters above the sea level, considered the largest and the most active volcano in Eurasia)
- Altai (Autochtonic Siberian republic bordering with Mongolia and Cazaquistan, known for its stunning mountainous countryside – just google it!)
- Ergaki (Siberian mountain range)
- Elton (Highly saline lake near the border with Cazaquistan)
- Belukha (the highest peak of Altai mountains)
Russian female Husky names
Since we’ve already traveled so far, let’s take a closer look at Russian names in general. The Russian language is one of the most melodic ones in the world. When spoken, the Russian words blend with each other, creating a beautiful flow.
No wonder that it’s becoming an increasingly popular choice when it comes to learning languages. And in addition, it’s a goldmine of inspiration when it comes to names! Just take a look at the examples below. Maybe one of those will fit your dog?
- Ekaterina (pure)
- Anastasia (resurrection)
- Alyona (bright and shining light)
- Mila (gracious, the dearest one)
- Yana (God is gracious)
- Luda (love of the people)
- Yulia (youthful)
- Natasha, a diminutive of Natalya (born on Christmas)
- Sasha, a diminutive of Alexandra (defender)
- Oksana (praise god)
- Polina (little stone)
- Mischa (the one that is like a god)
- Kira (strong woman)
- Ulyana (youthful)
Russian male Husky names
The Russian male names can sound smooth but powerful at the same time. And look at their meanings! Perfect for a restless, brave husky pup, aren’t they?
- Igor (warrior)
- Mikhail (the one that is like a god)
- Nikita (winner)
- Ivan (God is gracious)
- Anatoly (sunrise)
- Lev (lion)
- Yuri (light of god)
- Artem (perfect health)
Alaskan and Canadian husky dog names
The husky breed originally comes from Siberia, but its history is inextricably linked with Alaska and Canada. Below we’ve gathered some great name ideas inspired by the geography of these regions.
- Rocky (Rocky Mountains)
Husky names inspired by the iconic wolves
Many breeds, including Shitzu and Shiba-Inu, are closely related to wolves, but only in the case of Huskies, this relationship is visible at first glance. There is no other breed that would look so wolfy. So, you could take advantage of it and name your puppy after one of the famous wolves. The examples below come from mythology, as well as pop culture.
One of the characters in Jungle Book. His name means “solitary” in Hindi. In the story, Akela adopts Mowgli and becomes his mentor.
- White Fang
The main character of Jack London’s acclaimed novel which follows the life of a half-dog-half-wolf.
She-wolf that raised Romulus and Remus, twin brothers that, according to mythology, have started Rome.
An important part of Inuit symbolics, a gigantic lone wolf that chases night hunters.
Have you found your match among these cute Husky names? Whichever ones are your favorites, make sure to choose a name that is easy to pronounce and repeat. That will make your everyday life easier!
- Alaskan Klee Kai: Miniature Husky Dog Breed Information
- Rottsky – The Athletic Mix Between a Husky and a Rottie
- +50 name ideas for your black and white puppy
- Everything You Need to Know About the Goberian Breed: A Mix of Golden Retriever and Siberian Husky
- Shepsky – Do You Have What It Takes to Care for the German Shepherd Husky Mix?
- Pitsky – What Do You Need to Know about the Husky Pitbull Mix?
- Russian Blue Cat Breed: Facts About Russian Blue Cats, Breed Profile, Health, Personality Traits & More
- The Black Russian Terrier Dog Breed: The Ultimate Guide to Breed Characteristics of Purebred Black Russian Terriers