The Aristocats Cat Names
The Aristocats’ Narrative
The film plot follows the story of a Parisian cat family – Duchess, which is the cat mom, and her cute kittens – Berlioz, Marie, and Toulouse. After the family’s owner – an elderly and rich lady, Adelaide – writes down her testament, things get complicated for the Duchess and her kids. A greedy butler, Edgar, decides to make it impossible for the family to inherit the fortune. To do so, he abandons the cats in the French countryside.
This event starts a series of adventures that will change the life of the cat family forever. One of them is meeting Thomas O’Malley – a mysterious vagabond cat that lives on his own instead of relying on human owners.
The Aristocats Cat Names
The Aristocats cat names in the film include:
- Duchess – a loving and caring mother of three beautiful kittens. Elegant and well-behaved, she has to find her way in a new, challenging situation.
- Thomas O’Malley – an emancipated alley cat, living like a vagabond and enjoying the owner-free life. Thomas O’Malley and Duchess fall in love against all the differences between them. How does it end up? Well, no spoilers here – if you haven’t seen the movie yet, it’s about time!
- Berlioz – one of the three siblings, the youngest one. A cute, shy, and lovely kitten with affection for arts. Does the name ring the bell? Well, not without a reason. Berlioz is a talented pianist, and his name comes from a French composer, Hector Berlioz.
- Toulouse – the oldest of the three kittens. Just as his brother, Toulouse loves art in all forms, particularly painting.
- Marie – the middle sibling, an acclaimed singer. She has some tendencies towards snobbism, but in the end, she’s a cutie like her brothers.
- Scat Cat – the best friend of Thomas O’Malley. He’s a trumpet player and a leader of a jazz band.
- Peppo – accordion player in Scat Cat’s band.
- Hit Cat – acoustic guitar player in Scat Cat’s band.
Watching The Aristocats is great fun, not only because of a well-written plot. The music is an essential aspect of this movie, too. With Duchess and Marie singing, and Berlioz playing on the piano, the film doesn’t lack songs loved by the younger and the older ones.
Disney Cat Names Inspired by Other Films
Aristocats cat names are indeed classy, but let’s not forget that other Disney movies also feature cat characters. Let’s start with The Lady and the Tramp, which, interestingly, uses a similar plot as in the case of Duchess and Thomas O’Malley – the girl comes from a wealthy house, and the boy is a stray animal.
But focusing on the supporting characters, the Siamese cat twins – Si and Am – could be the meanest antagonists Disney ever invented. They love to complicate things and cause all forms of trouble. For the Aunt Sarah, their owner, they’re always the cutest – but only because they benefit from it.
Another memorable cat supporting character is Sergeant Tibbs in 101 Dalmatians. He’s the ally to Pongo and Perdita, trying to get back the stolen puppies from vicious Cruella DeVille. Do you remember Lucifer in Cinderella? His name speaks for itself. The black cat belongs to the Tremaine family, and he treats Cinderella as badly as their owners. Well – it’s not the most positive character, but if you have a tempered cat, naming him Lucifer may be a cool idea!
Other honorable feline Disney characters include:
- Mochi (Big Hero 6);
- The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland);
- Yzma (The Emperor’s New Groove).
Editor’s NoteYes, I know, technically Yzma is a lady. But! Her cat version is just so adorable, and Eartha Kitt such an amazing job at voicing her. Yzma as a cat name is a must!
Disney vs. Aristocats
There are many fictional cat characters widely recognized by audiences worldwide. Jerry, The Cheshire Cat, Figaro, Doraemon – these are only a few examples of cat figures engraved in pop culture. And if we’re counting all the felines, we have to mention Simba (The Lion King), Shere Khan (The Jungle Book), and Winnie The Pooh’s unforgettable Tiger as well.
The Aristocats, on the other hand, are not that well-recognized today. And it’s a shame since it’s a thoughtfully written movie filled with inspiring characters. Aristocats cat names can give off a classy, regal vibe to your kitten’s identity.
Pop culture loves cats and dogs equally – but in the case of Disney, the affection for the dogs is definitely taking over the front. So far, the famous studio has made only one feature animation with cat characters only. It’s worth noting that it was the last film Walt Disney has ever approved before dying in 1966 (along with The Jungle Book). The Aristocats premiered in 1970, and it turned out to be an immediate success.
Even though it did well in the box office, it didn’t, however, repeat the success of the 101 Dalmatians that entered cinemas a few years earlier. Maybe that’s why Disney hasn’t been making cats the main protagonists in its following productions? Regardless of the reason, today, The Aristocats is just as iconic as the mentioned 101 Dalmatians. We would risk stating that it has aged even better!
And if you’re interested in more fun names, read our article on Disney Cat Names!
Aristocats cat names for your own cats may be a great idea, particularly if you’re a fan of this movie! Or you can let your imagination run wild and come up with your own aristocratic names based on the famous figures from the world of arts, music, and science. It’s up to you!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Were the Kittens’ Names in the Aristocats?
The kittens were named Berlioz, Toulouse, and Marie.
What Is a Good Disney Name for a Cat?
Some good Disney cat names could be Duchess, Thomas O’Malley, Sergeant Tibbs, or Lucifer.
What Is the Name of the Gray Cat in Aristocats?
The gray cat’s name is Scat Cat.
What Is the White Aristocat’s Name?
The white Aristocat’s name is Marie. She is a singer and the middle sibling of Berlioz, Toulouse, and herself.
Who Is the Kittens’ Dad in Aristocats?
The kittens’ father figure is Thomas O’Malley, a stray cat who falls in love with Duchess, while their biological father is an unknown aristocrat cat.
Who Is the Oldest Kitten in Aristocats?
Toulouse is the oldest kitten in The Aristocats. He has a love for painting, and his name comes from French post impressionist painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.
- Disney Cat Names for Your Pet – 75+ Unique Names for Cats
- 101 Dalmatians Dog Names: The Full List of Revealed Puppy Names
- Dog Names From Movies and TV: 25 Famous Film Pets and More
- Disney Dog Names: 100+ Name Ideas for Your Pup
- Cartoon Dog Names: Characters Who Make Great Names for Dogs
- 80+ Badass Cat Names: Ideas for Naming Your Ferocious Feline
- Dog Names That Start With T: The Best “T” Pet Names
- Sailor Moon Cat Names. Luna and Artemis Are Not the Only Options!