About 95 million cats are estimated to be living in American households. It seems that the world needs a lengthy list of cute cat names. There is a scientific explanation why at least half of the world is enamored with felines. It has to do with an analytical model called baby schema, which we will dive into. Which breeds score the highest on our cutometer? And more importantly, how to name this fluffy kitten you have just adopted? Options are endless. You can find inspiration in flora, fauna, food, pop culture and many more! The process of naming your cat can be fun.
Why are cats so cute?
Cats come in all shapes and sizes. Some are fluffy, bald, tiny, bulky, with big eyes, with small ears, black, white, calico or white. Each pet owner claims that their kitty is the cutest. Despite our personal preferences and emotional bias, all felines share certain features that make them adorable. There is hard science behind our attraction to cats.
Cats and babies — what do they have in common?
Konrad Lorenz proposed an analytical model called baby schema (Kindchenschema) to wrap his head around cuteness. He came up with a list of features that cause goo-goo eyes:
- round face;
- large head compared to the rest of the body;
- big eyes;
- rounded ears;
- chubby cheeks;
- small nose;
- small mouth;
- short and thick limbs;
- plump body shape.
Do they ring a bell? Yes, right. All of them reflect the latest YouTube video with cute cats you’ve seen. When we see a vulnerable, slightly chubby creature, we want to take care of it. It’s because of our genetic makeup. Some theories claim that we have evolved to consider babies to be cute so that parents take care of them. This way, our species could survive. Our genes are so selfish! Many people choose life without children and transfer their protectiveness to cats.
The cutest cat breeds
Cats of those breeds are fluffy, chubby, small, clumsy and so adorable we want to hug them right away:
- Munchkin — short legs;
- Norwegian Forest Cat — long hair;
- Maine Coon — fluffy fur;
- British Shorthair — chubby face;
- Bengal — adorable eyes;
- Siamese — round, blue eyes;
- Birman — cute white fluffy fur;
- Persian — sweet, slightly grumpy face;
- Scottish Fold — adorable ears;
- Ragdoll — amiable expression.
Most purebred felines have remarkable personalities. Their temperaments differ, though. Remember to learn about their behavior and attitude to children, as well as energy levels.
Cute Food-Inspired Cat Names
Food is a good source of inspiration. We love to eat and have positive associations with food. It makes us feel better just like our feline friends. Check out some cute, food names your great cat could use:
- Bon Bon
Cute Flower Cat Names — Girl Cat Names
Flowers are sweet, beautiful and improve our mood. Some cute names, especially for female kittens, include:
Cute Baby Names You Can Use For Your Cat — Female Cat and Male Cat Cute Name Ideas
If cats resemble babies in so many ways, why not borrow some cute names from parenting websites?
Cute Animal-Inspired Cat Names For Your Kitten
Wild and domesticated, exotic and well-known — cuteness has taken control over the world when we start enumerating these adorable animals:
- Arctic fox
- Elephant Shrew
- Red Panda
- Slow Loris
- Sugar Glider
Cute Sounds Inspired Cat Names
The list includes both names of sounds and onomatopoeic expressions. Listen to your cat. Maybe it meows in a specific way or chatters when observing birds. Consider choosing some of those names if your kitty is particularly vocal. These monikers make good names for cats of both genders:
- Beep — for cats who wake you up, and you don’t need your alarm clock anymore;
- Burr — cats who make a mess in the kitchen in search for food could use that name;
- Chirp — did you know that cats can do that, especially when they see birds?
- Click — a good name for cats who love sleeping on your keyboard and sometimes accidentally close an important document;
- Flutter — a good name for cats who love running and make a mess while doing so;
- Silence — for cats who don’t meow;
- Vroom — for cats who delight you with their constant purring;
- Whirr — for cats that are fast and love playing and jumping just like ballerinas do;
- Whisper — for cats you reveal all your secrets to.
Some other boy cat names inspired by sounds include:
No matter if you have a black cat, white cat, orange cat, tabby cat or a gray cat, they are all adorable furry friends who have cute distinguishing features. Every cat deserves the best life and the best name to match it. Hopefully, you have already decided what the cutest cat names are and can share it in the comments’ section below. Don’t forget to give your cat a delicious snack every time it reacts to the chosen name.