The dragon fruit is actually a cactus and originates in America. Legends say that this fruit is the last things that is released from a dragon’s mouth after blowing fire to please the king after being terminated by a warrior. Interesting as it may seem, this flame-like fruit can be consumed by both humans and canines. But are you sure: Can dogs eat dragon fruit? Let’s cover all the details!
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit for Dogs
When it comes to the health benefits of pitaya, there’s a lot to be said. One type of dragon fruit in particular, known as prickly pear cactus or “tuna” has been shown to have more than 100 different types of minerals and vitamins. These include:
- Potassium for healthy blood pressure levels;
- vitamin C for the immune system strength;
- calcium and iron, which will strengthen a dog’s blood condition and bones
- it also contains omega-3 fatty acids that can help reduce inflammation in joints, which is especially important for senior dogs;
- the exotic fruit is low in sugar with only 3 grams per serving, and at just 10 calories per cup, you’re getting a satisfying snack without blowing your dog’s diet;
- pitaya is a good source of fiber, which can help keep your dog’s digestive system healthy;
- it is a good source of antioxidants and vitamin B6, which can help reduce stress, regulate hormones and your pup’s mood.
As you can see, it is not so difficult to get the answer anymore. Can dogs eat dragon fruit? You should know by now, but read on!
When Is Dragon Fruit Bad for Dogs
While the benefits of the exotic fruit in dogs are many, there are also some risks associated with dogs having them. Dogs can eat the pitahaya, but some risks include:
- Dogs might experience digestive problems after eating this edible cactus;
- your furry companion may experience diarrhea after consuming it, as all raw fruit can cause a runny tummy;
- if eaten too much in one sitting, Fido may experience vomiting;
- fruit contain a lot of sugar, so you need to monitor your buddy’s teeth not to cause any cavities; obesity is also a key issue here;
- pitaya may not be safe for all dogs to eat; it is important to consult with your veterinarian before feeding it to your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Dragon Fruit Skin?
One question that people often ask is: Can dogs eat dragon fruit skin? The answer to this question is not entirely clear. Some people believe that the leathery skin of this beautiful cactus is okay for dogs to eat, while others believe that it is too hard to chew. In order to answer this question, it is critical to consider that dogs have a very diverse digestive system. Some dogs will experience no problems after eating the skin of this juicy snack, while other dogs might develop stomach upset or diarrhea. In order to ensure your dog’s safety, remove the skin whenever possible and feed your dog the mushy part of the pink or yellow dragon fruit. The skin is tough, and we don’t want a choking hazard in our way, do we?
Dragon Fruit Juice and Seeds. Safe for Dogs?
Some dogs will experience no issues after drinking the juice, while other dogs could develop stomach upset or diarrhea. In order to ensure your dog’s safety, always consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any type of juice. They might be high in vitamin C, but the sugar content can outweigh the advantages. As far as dragon fruit seeds are concerned, it is absolutely fine for your four-legged pal to ingest them. They are soft and will not cause your pooch any harm. Just remember about moderation at all times.
Is Dragon Fruit Good for Dogs? Final Verification
So, can dogs eat dragon fruit? Yes! As long as it is given in moderation, the dragon fruit is a safe and healthy snack for your furry friend. Not only does this exotic fruit provide essential nutrients and antioxidants, but it may also help improve your dog’s digestion and skin health. Just be sure to cut the fruit into small pieces to avoid choking hazards, and remove the rind before serving. And don’t forget! Juice and pulp are also edible, so let your dog enjoy some of the fun too!
- Guava Can Be a Great Treat for Dogs, but Can Dogs Eat Guava Fruit? The Pros and Cons of Guava in Dogs
- Can Dogs Eat Citrus Fruits Or Are Lemons Bad For Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Apricots? Are Fresh or Dried Apricots Better for Dogs?
- Can Cats Eat Mango? Some Fruits Are Safe For Cats
- Can Dogs Eat Tangerines? Everything You Need to Know About The Different Types of Tangerines and Their Health Benefits
- Feeding Apples to Dogs. Eating Apples Can be a Delicious Snacking Alternative for Your Pup, but Can Dogs Eat Apples?
- Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate? The Positives And Negatives of Giving Your Dog Pomegranate And Pomegranate Seeds
- Can Cats Eat Oranges? Read on If You Are Looking for the Answer