In this article, we will discuss the pros and cons of giving your dog a hotdog, as well as how much is too much! Our furry friends don’t know what’s good for their digestive system, so dog owners should be informed what is best to give. Here is some (dog) food for thought on the burning question: Can dogs eat hot dogs!
Are Hot Dogs Safe for Dogs and Can Dogs Eat All Types of Hot Dogs?
Feeding hotdogs to your dog isn’t the best idea. But, you may be surprised to find out that plain hot dogs may sometimes actually benefit your dog. The meat in them is a great source of protein and vitamins, but remember to feed your dog nude hot dogs without things like onions or garlic, as these are toxic and harmful for dogs.
There are a lot of myths surrounding hot dogs. Can dogs eat hotdogs? Well, you’ll want to avoid serving your dog the kind that come in packages, because they might be dangerous for him/her. There’s some nutrition in them though, but it’s best if you cook fresh ones from scratch. Take a look below, what’s unsafe for dogs to eat.
Why Might Hotdogs be Harmful and Can Dogs Eat Hotdogs if Healthy
If your pup is healthy, your veterinarian will not say no to hot dogs from time to time. However, don’t call weenies dog food, because:
- Hot dogs have a lot of sodium in them and salt is bad for your pup’s kidneys. Don’t let your pooch dehydrate!
- Some of the ingredients in processed meats—like nitrates and nitrites—can cause cancer (e.g.pancreatitis). So, it’s always best to go with meat that is unprocessed.
- Dogs should not be consuming too many hotdogs because they are high in fat. This may contribute to obesity, which can lead to other issues like heart disease
- Large quantities of these foods can irritate the stomach, cause constipation and obesity. If your pup doesn’t like chewing, then these sausages can get stuck in between those adorable puppy teeth. The circular shape of the hotdog is to blame! Some pooches might even choke.
- Uncooked hotdogs might hold bacteria, which are obviously toxic to dogs.
- Although beef hotdogs sound delicious to your pet, the buns are full of carbs and sugar, and who wants empty calories!
If your dog eats a hotdog by accident and has bad symptoms, it’s important to call the vet as soon as possible. Stick to the healthy hot dogs!
Healthy Alternatives to Hot Dogs
If you tend to use hotdogs as training treats for your canine buddy, we recommend not to make it a habit, but apply these instead:
- I suggest that you substitute hot dogs for other things, like chicken, tuna or burgers. However, you should avoid giving your hounds BBQ sauce. It’s not good for their health and they might even get sick!
- A good option, instead of hotdogs, would be plain beef, pork or lamb without seasoning. These are full of protein and other essential nutrients.
- We recommend you treat your lovely pet with little pieces of fruits and vegetables. Your dog will enjoy a variety of berries, pears and apples. Sweet potatoes and asparagus are wonderful indulgences from time to time.
Can Dogs Eat Hot Dog Toppings?
Can dogs eat hotdog garnishes? Not really. The best way to keep your dog healthy is to feed her natural, nutritious foods. If she eats human food like mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup or pickle relish, it can be harmful for her health! Toppings like dried onions contain preservatives, sodium nitrate and fat. Diarrhea guaranteed if your best friend eats in excess! If any dog onwer is still asking: Can dogs eat hotdogs, they shouldn’t have any more doubts by now!
So What’s the Final Ruling? Can Dogs Eat Hotdogs?
We know how you feel about your dog, they are practically family! But please don’t feed them hot dogs too often. Feeding any type of food not meant for canines is bad because their stomachs cannot process it properly and the result could be fatal. There are many healthy alternatives to feeding your furry friend that will keep them happy and satisfied without risking their health in the process. Plan some yummy treats like (carrots and apples)with ingredients that won’t harm their tummy! So it’s better to keep the hot dog treats to a minimum!
- Can Cats Eat Dog Food? It’s Formulated Differently for a Reason
- Do Dogs Have Taste Buds? They Have a Sense of Taste, But It’s Different from Ours
- Can Dogs Eat Oysters? Can Dogs Eat Seafood?
- Is Cat Food Bad for Dogs and Everything You Need to Know About Dogs Eating from a Cat’s Bowl. Can Dogs Eat Cat Food?
- Is There Any Food You’d Love to Share With Your Dog? For Us, It Is Macaroni and Cheese. Can Dogs Eat Mac and Cheese?
- Just Like You, Dogs and Cats Like Thanksgiving Foods, but Can Dogs Eat Turkey? Is Turkey Good for Dogs?
- Feeding Apples to Dogs. Eating Apples Can be a Delicious Snacking Alternative for Your Pup, but Can Dogs Eat Apples?
- Is Tomato Sauce Bad for Dogs? Can Dogs Eat Ketchup? Read Our Tips Before You Let Your Dog Eat Tomato Salsa