Most cooked vegetables
If you’re wondering what human foods can dog eat, this is a go-to. Carrots, green beans, and broccoli are all safe for dogs to eat. They provide important vitamins and minerals that your dog needs, and they’re a healthy snack option. Just be sure to cook the vegetables properly, so they are soft enough for your dog to chew. Carrots particularly are a great choice for dogs because they’re high in fiber and vitamins A, C, and E. They also have a low glycemic index, which means they won’t cause your dog’s blood sugar to spike.
Peanut butter is one of the most common human foods that dogs can eat safely. It’s high in protein and healthy fats, which makes it an excellent snack for your dog. But make sure to check the label first because some brands may contain xylitol, a sweetener that’s toxic to dogs! The only type of peanut butter that you can give your dog is one that is made of 100% peanuts. You can also feed your dog macadamia nut butter.
Cooked eggs are another great option for dogs. They’re a good source of protein and healthy fats, and they’re also low in cholesterol. Just make sure to discard the eggshells, as they can be harmful to dogs if ingested.
Watermelon is another human food that dogs can eat. Not only is it low in calories, but is also made of 90% water, making it a great way to keep your dog hydrated on hot summer days when he’s not very fond of drinking water. However, keep your dog’s watermelon intake in check, since it is also high in sugar.
Cooked and puréed pumpkin is a nutritious food that’s high in fiber and vitamins A, C, E, K. It can also help soothe an upset stomach or diarrhea if your dog is experiencing either of those issues!
Rice is a good source of complex carbohydrates and B vitamins for dogs. Make sure to cook it thoroughly before feeding it to your pup because uncooked rice can expand inside their stomachs and cause gastrointestinal issues.
This fall fruit is a great source of fiber, vitamins A, C and E for dogs. They also contain pectin, which is beneficial for digestive health! You can feed your dog an apple plain or sliced with the skin on – just make sure to remove any seeds, as they could be toxic due to high levels of arsenic they contain.
Oatmeal is another human food that dogs can safely eat. It’s high in fiber and B vitamins, which makes it a great option for dogs with sensitive stomachs or who suffer from diarrhea frequently.
Another food that you can share with your dog is sweet potatoes. They are a good source of vitamin A, C, E and K for dogs. They also contain fiber which helps keep dogs feeling full and satisfied.
The list of human food dogs can eat goes on. Regardless of which food you choose, just like with people, it is important to make sure that the food you are feeding your dog is cooked properly. Raw or undercooked meats can contain harmful bacteria that can make your dog sick.
Human foods you should never feed to your dog:
Now that you know what human foods dogs can eat, let’s not forget to mention foods that should never be fed to dogs, no matter how much they beg and how cute they look while doing so. These foods are a no-no:
- Chocolate. It’s bad for dogs because it contains a substance called theobromine, which is toxic to canines. Even small amounts can be dangerous for dogs. Signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and seizures.
- Grapes. Dogs can’t eat grapes because they contain a toxin called methylene blue, which can cause seizures, liver damage, and even death in dogs. There is no antidote for methylene blue poisoning in dogs.
- Garlic and onion. Although not toxic per se, they can cause gastric distress in dogs if ingested in large amounts.
- Tomatoes. They contain a substance called tomatine, which is a compound found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants that can be toxic for dogs.
What human food can dogs eat? Now you know!
You don’t have to limit yourself to only giving your pup dog food. Now that you know some human foods dogs can eat safely, why not give them a try? Your dog will love spending time with you in the kitchen, and you’ll both get to enjoy delicious homemade meals using products like apples, boiled eggs, rice and more.
- What Vegetables Can Dogs Eat? 10 Best Vegetables Dogs Can Eat
- Can Cats Eat Broccoli? Vegetables That Are Safe For Cats
- Can Dogs Eat Squash? Why and How to Give Your Dog Pumpkin, Zucchini and Other Types of Squash
- What Human Food Can Cat Eat? 7 Human Foods That Are Safe for Cats to Eat
- Can Dogs Eat Lima Beans? What Are Lima Beans’ properties?
- Can Cats Eat Corn? Is Corn Safe For Cats?
- Can Cats Eat Apples? Are Fruit Bad For Cats?
- Can Cats Eat Carrots? The Benefits and Risks of carrots for cats. How to Serve Carrots to Cats