If you’re moving and have to take your furry friend with you, you’re likely wondering how much it will cost to ship a dog. The price of pet shipping can vary depending on the weight of your pet, the size of the kennel or crate, the distance you’re traveling, and the transportation service you choose. But don’t worry – we’ve got all the details to help make this process as smooth as possible for both you and your four-legged companion. How much does it cost to ship a dog? Keep reading to find out!
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog?
Are you planning to move to a new home and wondering: how much does it cost to ship a dog? You should be aware, that the cost of shipping a dog depends on a number of factors, including the size and weight of the dog, the distance the dog will be traveling, and the method of transportation. Full list of factors that may affect the price include:
- the size and weight of the dog – larger dogs will typically cost more to ship than smaller dogs;
- the distance the dog will be traveling – shorter distances will usually be less expensive than longer ones;
- the method of transportation – travel in cargo is typically more expensive than ground pet transportation, but it may be the only option for long distances or for certain breeds of dogs;
- the size of the crate – a larger crate will generally cost more to ship than a smaller one;
- special requirements – if the dog has any special needs, such as being pregnant or having a disability, this may increase the cost of shipping a pet;
- the time of year – shipping costs may be higher during peak travel times, such as holidays.
As you can see, there are a number of factors that can affect the cost of shipping a dog. It’s important to get a quote from a reputable pet shipping company before making any decisions.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog? Distance
The cost of shipping a dog can vary based on the distance the animal needs to travel. For shorter distances, ground transport may be the most economical option, while for longer distances, flying may be the best choice. The following table provides estimated cost ranges for shipping a dog within the United States:
- up to 100 miles: $75-$175;
- 101-500 miles: $275-$500;
- 501-2,000 miles: $575-$1,600;
- 2,001+ miles: $1,675-$3,000+.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog? Cost to Fly a Dog by Weight
The cost of transport service will depend on the weight of the animal. Heavier dogs will cost more to ship than lighter ones. The average cost to ship a dog that weighs between 10 and 20 pounds is $120. For dogs that weigh between 21 and 50 pounds, the average cost is $200. And for dogs that weigh more than 50 pounds, the average cost is $250 (for shorter distances).
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog? International Airline Travel
How much does it cost to ship a dog internationally? There are a few things that will affect the final cost of the international pet transport. The first is the size and weight of your pet. Larger dogs will typically cost more to ship than smaller ones, as they will take up more space on the plane and may require special handling.
The second factor is the destination country. Some countries have restrictions on importing animals, which can impact the cost of shipping. Additionally, some countries may require that your pet undergoes certain vaccinations, tests, or health certificates before they are allowed to enter, which can also add to the cost.
Finally, the method of shipping you choose will also affect the price. If you opt for air travel, you can expect to pay more than if you choose to ship your dog via ground transportation.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog? Additional Costs
There are a few additional costs pet owners should consider when shipping a dog.
First, you will need to purchase an airline-approved pet carrier. These can range in price from $30-$200, depending on the size and style of a travel crate you pick.
Second, you may need to pay a pet fee to the airline. These fees can range from $50-$200, depending on the airline.
Third, you will need to arrange for someone to pick up your dog at the airport and take them to their final destination. This could be a friend, family member, or professional pet shipping service. The cost of this service will vary depending on who you choose to hire.
Finally, you may need to purchase pet insurance for your dog. This is not required by all airlines, but it is a good idea to have in case something happens to your dog while in transit. Pet insurance typically costs $10-$30 per month.
You should also check with your veterinarian, if your dog doesn’t have any medical conditions that may require special care during pet travel.
Last but not least, you should remember that the animals entering the United States may be regulated by USDA APHIS and other federal agencies. Your pet may need to fulfill additional health criteria depending on your destination state.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Dog? Pet Shipping Summary
To sum up, this is a full list of factors that may affect the final price of shipping your pet:
- size and weight of a dog;
- size and type of crate;
- local animal transportation or shipping your dog internationally;
- type of shipper (did you choose the American Airlines or a local transport company?);
- veterinary checkup;
- cost of vaccinations, health certificates, required tests etc.;
- transport via cargo or in-cabin;
- number of pets you want to ship;
- special dog needs;
- air travel vs. ground travel;
- special airline requirements;
- additional costs of bringing a pet to the U.S. (health criteria, regulations, etc.).
- How Much Does It Cost to Cremate a Cat? Pet Cremation Cost in Details
- How Much Does It Cost to Put a Cat Down? Cost of Pet Euthanasia. What Does It Mean to Euthanize a Dog or a Cat?
- Pet Euthanasia: How Much Does It Cost to Put a Dog Down? Check If Euthanizing a Dog Is Expensive
- How Much Does It Cost to Spay a Cat? Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Services
- How to Crate Train a Puppy (or Adult Dog)? A Complete Guide
- How Much Does It Cost to Spay a Dog? Spay/Neuter Services Cost
- How Much Does It Cost to Neuter a Dog at a Vet? Dog Neutering Price Guide
- Beabull Dog: Most Adorable Puppy in the World. Learn More About This Beagle & Bulldog Mix