Who doesn’t love pizza? It’s so versatile and delicious! But can dogs eat pizza? They sure want to. So let’s discuss it. Today you will learn that:
- A little bit of pizza crust won’t harm your dog 🍕
- Toppings and sauce ingredients like garlic and onion are toxic to dogs 🍕
- Homemade pizza with plain tomato sauce is safe for dogs 🍕
- If your dog stole a piece of pizza and behaves normally, he will be fine 🍕
Can Dogs Eat Pizza Crust?
The base of the pizza is made from flour, yeast and water. Can dogs eat pizza crust? Pizza crust is not bad for dogs, but raw dough consisting of flour and yeast is very dangerous for canines.It can make their digestive system upset, which can cause a lot of health problems. Also, dogs can have allergic reactions to flour, just like humans can. If your dog has eaten raw dough, you should call the vet immediately.
Editor’s Note 🐕Is your pup a sucker for pizza crust? Same here! And I have three of those! And since I usually don’t have enough to share with all of them, I just try not to look at them 😅
Pizza Ingredients That Are Bad for Dogs
There are some toppings and ingredients that are safe for dogs to eat. It does not imply though that we should feed our dogs with pizza. Quite the contrary, the existence of safe pizza toppings implies that there are dangerous ones too.
The second main ingredient of pizza is cheese, which actually is a very popular snack for canines. However, there are some cheeses that can cause an upset stomach which can lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Cheese is also not recommended for dogs which are overweight since it is high in fat content.
Can dogs eat pizza sauce? Tomatoes are another basic ingredient of a pizza. They contain a compound called solanine, which can cause digestive problems in canines. Dogs can also have an allergic reaction to tomatoes. It’s worth noting, though, that if your dog is not allergic, a little bit of plain tomato sauce won’t harm him.
Can dogs eat pizza? Not if it contains one of these:
- Garlic can cause anemia and can be harmful for canines.
- Onions can cause hemolytic anemia in dogs, which can lead to a lack of blood in the body and can even cause death. Just a small amount can be very dangerous for dogs.
- Mushrooms can also be very dangerous since they can cause some liver and kidney damage.
- Pepperoni can be very harmful for smaller dogs that may eat a larger amount in one sitting. It can even cause pancreatitis that can lead to death. This particular type of sausage is made from pork meat.
- Broccoli can cause gas and can also lead to an upset stomach, so it should be given in small amounts.
- Chives can cause digestive problems.
Other popular addition that you shouldn’t give your dog include Tabasco. Just a small amount can be enough for an upset stomach, and red skin. Other spicy ingredients, such as jalapeño peppers, although are not typically toxic for dogs, can also be a source of digestive problems.
Pizza is usually high in salt, and that can lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms include: vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and tremors. Some dogs can even develop cardiac arrest or seizures when eating too much of salty foods like pizza.
Is There Any Pizza That Is Safe for Dogs?
Can dogs eat pizza that is homemade? Technically, it is much healthier than a pizza ordered from a local restaurant or bought at a store. Just make sure all the ingredients are safe for them. And remember, feed him one slice of pizza at a time, and don’t give him too much. It can lead to obesity.
Can Dogs Eat Pizza In Small Quantities?
A small amount of pizza isn’t going to make your dog sick, but some pizza ingredients such as onion and garlic can be harmful to your dog. A bite of pizza that you made at home isn’t necessarily dangerous for dogs. Pizza has minimal nutritional value. Dog owners should keep in mind though that dogs should be fed with special dog food and not human food.
Wondering what human food can dogs eat? Then click here!
- Can Dogs Eat Pasta? | Spaghetti for Dogs
- Can Dogs Eat Tortillas Safely? What About Corn Tortilla Chips?
- Can Dogs Eat Hummus? It’s Not Just Chickpeas
- Can Dogs Eat Pancakes? Are Pancakes Safe for Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Cauliflower, or Is It Harmful to Dogs? Find Out!
- Can Dogs Eat Cake | Dog Birthday Cake Recipes
- Can Dogs Eat Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce? How to Safely Feed Your Dog Tomato
- Can Dogs Eat Garlic Bread? Is Garlic Safe for Dogs?