The Three Types of the Poodle Breed – Size Varieties
Poodles come in three sizes, the Standard Poodle, the Miniature Poodle, and the Toy Poodle. The Standard is the largest of the three poodle varieties. They typically weigh between 40 and 70 pounds and stand over 15 inches tall at the shoulder (usually 22 inches).
The Miniature Poodle is, as you might expect, a smaller version of the Standard. They weigh between 15 and 17 pounds and stand 9 to 15 inches tall at the shoulder. The Toy Poodle is even smaller still, weighing in at just 6 to 9 pounds and standing no taller than 10 inches at the shoulder. That’s about the size of a large Chihuahua!
Now that we’ve covered the size varieties of poodles, let’s move on to the mixed poodle breeds, or doodles. Doodle mixes are becoming increasingly popular, and for good reason! They’re intelligent, low-shedding, and hypoallergenic.
A List of Poodle Mixed Breeds
It’s impossible to list all the poodle breeds out there because new ones are being created all the time. However, we can give you a list of some of the most popular poodle mixes. These are just 30 possible combinations, but over 100 exist in total!
- Aussiedoodle: Australian Shepherd x Poodle;
- Bernedoodle: Bernese Mountain Dog x Poodle;
- Bidoodle: Bichon Frise x Poodle;
- Bordoodle: Border Collie x Poodle;
- Boxerdoodle: Boxer x Poodle;
- Cavapoo: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Poodle;
- Chipoo: Chihuahua x Poodle;
- Cockapoo: Cocker Spaniel x Poodle;
- Corgipoo: Corgi x Poodle;
- Goldendoodle: Golden Retriever x Poodle;
- Havapoo: Havenese x Poodle;
- Huskydoodle: Siberian Husky x Poodle;
- Jack-A-Poo: Jack Russell Terrier x Poodle;
- Labradoodle: Labrador Retriever x Poodle;
- Maltipoo: Maltese x Poodle;
- Mastidoodle: Mastiff x Poodle;
- Newfypoo: Newfoundland x Poodle;
- Peekapoo: Pekingese x Poodle;
- Pomapoo: Pomeranian x Poodle;
- Poogle: Beagle x Poodle;
- Pyredoodle: Great Pyrenees x Poodle;
- Rottle: Rottweiler x Poodle;
- Saint Bernadoodle: Saint Bernard x Poodle;
- Scoodle: Scottish Terrier x Poodle;
- Schnoodle: Schnauzer x Poodle;
- Sheepadoodle: Old English Sheepdog x Poodle;
- Shih Poo: Shih Tzu x Poodle;
- Weimardoodle: Weimaraner x Poodle;
- Westiepoo: West Highland Terrier x Poodle;
- Yorkiepoo: Yorkshire Terrier x Poodle.
As you can see, there are poodle crosses to suit just about any taste! If you have a favorite dog breed that doesn’t have its poodle mix listed here, it likely exists too. The breed names will usually contain part of the other breed’s name and “poo,” “doodle,” or “noodle” to signify that it’s a poodle cross. Now that you know some poodle breeds, let’s take a closer look at 10 of the most popular!
10 Best Poodle Mixes – Dog Breeds That Make the Best Doodles
It’s difficult to compare poodle mixes because they’re all so different! However, we’ve compiled a list of our top ten poodle crosses. This list is based on popularity, obedience, and how much information is available on them. After all, tried-and-tested dog breeds are easier to handle than new designer dogs.
Labradoodle – Labrador Retriever x Poodle
Labradoodles are one of the most popular poodle crosses because they make great family pets. They’re friendly, outgoing, and intelligent. Labradoodles are also relatively easy to train. However, they do require a lot of exercise. If you’re looking for a Labradoodle, be prepared to take them on long walks and runs!
Bipoo or Poochon – Bichon Frise x Toy Poodle
The Bipoo, also known as the Poochon, is a small dog that makes a great companion. Poochons are intelligent and easy to train. They don’t require a lot of exercise, but they do need plenty of mental stimulation. If you’re looking for a Bipoo, be sure to give them plenty of toys to keep them occupied!
Cockapoo – Cocker Spaniel x Poodle
The Cockapoo makes a great family pet and is known for being affectionate and good with children. Cockapoos are also intelligent and easily trainable. Their high energy levels make them great for active families.
Cavapoo – Cavalier King Charles Spaniel x Miniature Poodle
If you’re looking for a lap dog with the poodle’s curly coat, the Cavapoo is the perfect choice! Cavapoos are known for being loving and affectionate. They need plenty of exercise, but they’re small enough to get it in your backyard.
Schnoodle – Schnauzer x Poodle
The Schnoodle is a small to medium-sized dog that’s perfect for families. Schnoodles are known for being intelligent, friendly, and easily trainable. Just make sure to give them plenty of exercise, and they’ll be happy as can be!
Goldendoodle – Golden Retriever x Poodle
Goldendoodles tend to be very smart and easily trained, and their cheerful dispositions make them wonderful companions. Although they require regular grooming, they’re relatively low-maintenance dogs that are well worth the effort. If you are looking for a loyal, loving, and intelligent furry friend, the Goldendoodle is the perfect poodle breed for you.
Maltipoo – Maltese x Miniature or Toy Poodle
The Maltipoo is a small dog with a soft, fluffy coat that can be either curly or wavy. Maltipoos are intelligent dogs that are easy to train, affectionate and devoted to their owners. Maltipoos make great companion dogs, and they do well in homes with other pets and children. They don’t need a lot of exercise, but they do need regular grooming to keep their coats from matting.
Bernedoodle – Bernese Mountain Dog x Poodle
The Bernedoodle is a wonderful family pet, known for their intelligence, affectionate nature, and ability to get along well with children and other animals. Bernedoodles are also highly trainable and make excellent therapy dogs. In fact, they’re known for their calm and gentle personalities.
Shih Poo – Shih Tzu x Miniature Poodle
The Shih Poo is intelligent and affectionate like the Shih Tzu, but tends to be less yappy than other small breeds. This poodle breed is also the perfect size for city living. If you are looking for a loving and low-maintenance companion, the Shih Poo is the perfect dog for you.
Yorkiepoo – Yorkshire Terrier x Toy or Miniature Poodle
The Yorkiepoo is a good choice for those who live in apartments because of their small size. In terms of personality, Yorkiepoos are known for being intelligent, playful, and affectionate. They make great family pets and love to play with children. What’s not to like about them?
All Poodle Breeds Are Low-Shedding and Intelligent
Can you see any patterns emerging? Poodle crosses usually inherit the poodle coat that sheds very little (great for those with allergies) and are intelligent family dogs (making them easy to train). So, if you’re looking for a poodle mix, be sure to check out some of the poodle breeds on this list! You’re sure to find the perfect furry friend for your family.
Do you have experience with any of the mixes or parent breeds on this list? We’d love to hear your stories in the comments below!
- Daisy Dog – The Apartment Pet That Loves Everybody
- Shih Poo Breed: Everything You Need to Know About This Shih Tzu Poodle Mix
- Dog Breeds That Don’t Shed: Hypoallergenic Dogs for You and Your Family
- Best Dog Breeds for First-Time Dog Owners – Friendly and Sweet
- The Mini Poo: A Comprehensive Dog Breed Overview. Best Info on Miniature Poodles, Small Poodle Mix Puppies, Tips & Facts
- Small Dog Breeds – Finding the Perfect Companion Among the Smallest Dogs
- Lazy Dog Breeds: Top 12 Laziest Dog Breeds – Perfect for Cuddle Lovers
- Miniature Boxer – A Good Apartment Dog for Families