- French fries aren’t the best choice for our four-legged friends ❌
- If consumed in large amounts, fries can have dangerous effects on your dog’s health because they’re high in fat and salt ❌
- If you catch your dog eating fries, monitor them for any bad reactions such as vomiting or diarrhea ⚠️
- One healthier option is baked sweet potato slices (plain, with just a little oil) ✔️
Much like humans, dogs love fatty food. Can dogs eat French fries? Only in little amounts. They’re high in fat and salt, which isn’t good for your pup, period. But as long as your dog normally eats quality dog food, they can probably have a few fries without any harm. It’s important not to overfeed them with this unhealthy treat.
What Makes French Fries Bad for Dogs?
While French fries might seem tempting to some dogs, the frying process causes harmful compounds to form in the potatoes. The main toxin found in French fries is acrylamide, which is a carcinogen that can cause cancer in animals. In large quantities, this chemical can also lead to other health problems such as kidney damage and nerve damage.
Another problem with French fries is that they’re often heavily salted. This can make dogs very thirsty and can also lead to salt poisoning. Too much salt can cause electrolyte imbalances, which can be life-threatening.
Unfortunately, the answer to “Can dogs eat French fries?” is that it isn’t recommended. While your pup might be persistent in asking for them and even begging with those cute eyes, it wouldn’t end well, since these snacks are very unhealthy!
What If My Dog Ate Some Fries?
Many dogs don’t even like French fries. But if yours did eat some, then you’ll have to watch them for a while and make sure they can go to the bathroom normally. On a side note, if you feed your dog fatty snacks every day, it can potentially increase their risk of developing pancreatitis. It’s best to give them treats that are good for dogs instead (we’ll discuss them later)!
“Can dogs eat French fries and be okay?” you wonder. Your pup should be fine if it’s just once, but keep an eye on them just in case anything unusual happens such as vomiting or diarrhea. If there’s any sign of distress in their body language (e.g. pacing around), call the vet immediately!
TipGive your dog a lot of water if they ate fries. It can help make up for the dehydration caused by ingesting salt.
Wait a Minute – Why Does Your Dog Eat French Fries?
Your dog eats French fries because they’re imitating your own behavior! Dogs are social animals, and they learn from you. Whenever you do something, be it eating a hamburger or going to the park, your dog learns that this particular action is worth doing. Moreover, they hear the munching sounds you make! We have a tip for you: drop those McDonald’s fries and switch to other treats yourself!
Healthy Alternatives to French Fries – Safe for Your Dog!
It’s impossible to defend feeding your dog French fries if there are so many alternative treats that dogs can eat. Here are a few ideas:
- Try baking some sweet potato slices without any salt or spices. They’ll have more vitamins than traditional French fries, and much less fat (baking is always better than frying when it comes to dog snacks).
- Give your pooch carrot and apple sticks instead. They contain nutrients they need to stay healthy while providing the same crunchy texture that makes French fries so desirable.
- Fruit and berries have no salt and fat. You can feed your pooch a few blueberries or freeze some watermelon as a refreshing treat.
Here’s a recipe for baked chews that you can give your pup as a training treat or just when you feel like it!
Verdict: Can Dogs Eat French Fries?
In conclusion, can dogs eat French fries? Not in any substantial amount, no. French fries contain vegetable oil and salt, which can cause an upset stomach or worse problems in your dog if they consume too much. What happens when a dog eats French fries? The ingredients can make your pup’s stomach churn and could lead to diarrhea or vomiting.
We recommend you avoid feeding your pet any type of fry! However, there are other healthy snacks like edamame beans (protein) or bananas (potassium). If this answered your question “Can dogs eat French fries?”, then get started with these options today! Your furry friend will thank you for it later.
- Can Dogs Eat Cheetos | Hot Cheetos and Cheese Puffs for Dogs
- Can Dogs Eat Doritos? The Problem with Dogs Eating Chips
- Can Dogs Eat Okra? Is This Vegetable Bad for Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Marshmallows? Are They Bad for Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Hummus? It’s Not Just Chickpeas
- Can Dogs Eat Salt? Is There a Safe Amount of Salt for Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Salami? A Guide to Feeding Your Dog Salami
- What Can Dogs Not Eat? List of Toxic Food Dogs Should Never Eat