We have already discussed cheese and dogs here! But let us dive a bit deeper into one of America’s most popular cheeses: mozzarella! Will this wonderful ball join the dog-forbidden cheeses, like blue cheese and cream cheese? Or will it be safe just as goat cheese? Can dogs eat mozzarella cheese? Let’s find out!
- Mozzarella cheese isn’t good for dogs, but won’t harm them either ✔️
- If your dog isn’t lactose intolerant, mozzarella can be occasionally given as a snack ✔️
- Too much of any cheese can cause your dog to have stomach problems ⚠️
The Health Benefits of Mozzarella Cheese
In theory, mozzarella cheese can be very beneficial.
- Mozzarella is a rich source of bone-building calcium and protein. Calcium is important for maintaining strong bones. Protein is necessary for building muscles and other tissues. Mozzarella also contains a good amount of phosphorus, which helps keep bones healthy. Phosphorus is also involved in energy production.
- Compared to some other cheeses, mozzarella is a low-sodium food. It has 140 milligrams of sodium or less per serving. Sodium is a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Too much sodium can lead to high blood pressure, which is a leading cause of heart disease and stroke.
- Mozzarella is a good source of vitamin A, providing 10 percent of the Daily Value per ounce. Vitamin A is important for eye health and keeping the skin healthy. It is also a good source of vitamin A. One ounce provides about 10 percent of the recommended daily intake. Vitamin A is important for vision, healthy skin and mucous membranes, and immune system function. Mozzarella also contains small amounts of other vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin C.
- Mozzarella is a good source of several other nutrients, including zinc and vitamin B12. Zinc is important for wound healing and immunity. Vitamin B12 is essential for maintaining nerve function and red blood cell production.
Knowing all these health benefits of mozzarella cheese, we can assume that it can be a healthy, nutritious snack. But not all human food can be safely consumed by our furry friends. Can dogs eat mozzarella cheese?
Can Dogs Eat Mozzarella Cheese?
So, can dogs eat mozzarella cheese at all? Lactose, which is a sugar found in milk and all dairy products, may not be easily digestible for some dogs. If your dog has any problems digesting dairy, it is best to avoid giving them mozzarella and other dairy products.
So if your dog is lactose intolerant, then eating cheese will give them an upset stomach and diarrhea. If your dog is lactose intolerant, some types of cheese, such as cottage cheese may be safer for dogs to eat, since it contains small amounts of lactose. On the other hand, if your dog does not have any problems digesting dairy, a small amount of this cheese shouldn’t harm him much. But he may still be feeling weird.
How Much Mozzarella Cheese Can You Feed Your Dog?
Cheese usually contains large amounts of fat. Calories may be a problem, especially for small dogs. Even a one-ounce serving for a small dog can be too many calories. Just like people, dogs should not have too much cheese in their diet as it can lead to digestive problems and obesity. So, can dogs eat mozzarella cheese? Moderation is key when feeding your dog mozzarella cheese as a snack.
Mozzarella cheese is lower in fat than some other types of cheese. For example, one-ounce serving of mozzarella cheese contains about 110 calories and 9 grams of fat. As a comparison, one-ounce serving of cheddar cheese contains about 150 calories and 12 grams of fat.
Remember not to overdo it, as too much cheese can lead to health problems for dogs such as obesity and digestive issues. However, if your dog is in a good state of health, a little bit of mozzarella from time to time should not be harmful.
Dogs can eat mozzarella cheese prepared in various ways such as shredded, melted or in cubes. Just be sure to avoid giving your dog cheese that is moldy or contains any other harmful ingredients. Some of the other harmful ingredients include onions or garlic, which can be toxic to dogs.
As far as snacks go, here’s a guideline to help you!
How Much Cheese For a Dog Is Too Much?
So again, the answer to this question of “Can dogs eat mozzarella cheese?” really depends on your furry friend’s individual digestive system, health condition, breed and needs. If you’re ever in doubt, it’s always best to consult with your veterinarian about what types of cheese and what amounts are safe for your dog to eat.
As a general rule, mozzarella cheese is full of nutrients and healthy fats, which make it a good snack choice and is safe for dogs in moderate amounts. However, if your pup has any dairy sensitivities, it’s best to avoid giving them mozzarella and other dairy products. As always, moderation is key when feeding your dog cheese as a snack.
- Can Dogs Eat Cheese? Is It Safe for Dogs?
- Can Cats Eat Cheese? The Risk Depends on the Type
- Can Dogs Eat Mac and Cheese? | Health Risks and Alternatives
- Do Cats Drink Milk? Do Cats Like Milk? The Truth About Whether You Can Give Your Cat Milk or Not
- Can Dogs Eat Sour Cream? How Much Sour Cream Can You Give Your Dog?
- Can Dogs Eat Cauliflower, or Is It Harmful to Dogs? Find Out!
- Can Dogs Eat Prunes? Are Dried Plums Safe For Dogs to Eat?
- Can Dogs Eat Honeydew, Cantaloupe or Watermelon? Feeding Melons to Dogs