|Dog Breed||Female Name||Male Name|
What does a strong dog mean to you? Is it a dog who is physically strong and muscular? Or is it a dog who is brave and fearless? Whatever your definition of strong, there’s sure to be a name on this list of strong dog names that will fit your pup perfectly.
Strong Dog Names From Mythology
If you’ve recently adopted a new pup and are looking for a name that sounds as powerful and majestic as your dog, then mythology is the place to look. We’ve compiled a list of strong dog names inspired by Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse and Celtic gods and goddesses to help you out.
Mythological Names for Male Dogs
- Arawn – the Welsh king of the otherworld realm of Annwn;
- Ares – the Greek god of war;
- Loki – the Norse god of mischief;
- Mars – the Roman equivalent of Ares;
- Midas – a king from Greek mythology whose touch turned everything to gold;
- Neit – an Irish god of war;
- Osiris – the Egyptian god of death and resurrection;
- Thor – the Norse god of thunder and strength;
- Vulcan – the Roman god of fire, volcanoes, and metalworking;
- Zeus – the king of gods in Greek mythology.
Mythological Names for Female Dogs
- Athena – the Greek goddess of wisdom and war;
- Arachne – a weaver in the Greek mythology who was turned into a spider;
- Bellona – a Roman goddess of war who presided over battles and dispatched souls to the underworld after death;
- Brigid – the Irish goddess of wisdom, protection, and blacksmithing;
- Circe – a powerful sorceress in Homer’s Odyssey;
- Diana – the Roman goddess of the hunt, moon, and childbirth;
- Freya – the Norse goddess of love, beauty, and war;
- Hera – the Greek queen of the gods;
- Isis – the Egyptian goddess of motherhood and magic;
- Sekhmet – an Egyptian warrior goddess.
These names have a regal air about them that is perfect for a strong guard dog. If you are looking for a strong dog name with a bit more of a masculine or feminine edge, any of these mythological god and goddess names would be perfect.
Fierce, Tough-Sounding or Badass Names for Guard Dogs
If mythology isn’t quite what you’re looking for, don’t worry. We’ve got plenty of other ideas for strong dog names that are either tough-sounding or inspired by badass characters from pop culture.
Badass Names for Male Guard Dogs
- Bandit – for a pup who is always getting into trouble;
- Buffy – inspired by the vampire slayer;
- Draco – inspired by the Harry Potter character;
- Gator – for a pup with a tough exterior;
- Goliath – inspired by the Biblical giant;
- Jaws – for a pup with a strong bite;
- Killer – an intimidating name for an intimidating pup;
- Panther – for a sleek and powerful pup;
- Rambo – inspired by the action movie hero;
- Titan – inspired by the Titans of mythology;
- Venom – for a pup with an intimidating presence.
Fierce Names for Female Guard Dogs
- Alpha – for a pup who’s a natural leader;
- Bane – inspired by the Batman villain;
- Cora – for a pup who is fiercely loyal;
- Cheetah – for a pup with lightning-fast reflexes;
- Ember – for a pup who is hot-tempered;
- Karma – for a pup who’s always getting into mischief;
- Katniss – inspired by the Hunger Games heroine;
- Mamba – for a pup with a lethal bite;
- Ragna – or a pup who is unstoppable;
- Ruthless – for a pup who always gets her way;
- Vera – for a pup with a strong and independent spirit.
How do you like these names? We think they’re all pretty fierce! Who would dare mess with a dog named Bane or Killer? If your dog looks like he could teach an intruder a lesson, it’s only fitting to name them something tough like that.
DID YOU KNOW…Many of these strong dog names have been inspired by characters in popular films and shows. If there’s a character that you love, try to think of a name that would perfectly fit your pup. It will be a unique and personal way to pay tribute to that character while also giving your pup a memorable and powerful name.
Names That Mean Strong in Foreign Languages
If you want to give your dog a strong name in a foreign language, there are many options available to you. Whether your pup is named after a warrior, a mountain, or another important symbol of strength, there are plenty of strong dog names in languages other than English.
For a Male Dog
- Berkut – Ukrainian for ‘golden eagle.’
- Eitan – Hebrew for ‘strong, firm.’
- Faramir – Sindarin Elf name from Lord of the Rings meaning ‘valiant.’
- Groot – Dutch for ‘great, mighty.’
- Ivor – Old Norse for ‘archer, bow warrior.’
- Khan – Mongolian for ‘ruler, emperor.’
- Lupus – Latin for ‘wolf.’
- Maru – Japanese for ’round and big,’ referring to a dog’s head or body.
- Nero – Italian and Latin for ‘black.’
- Oso – Spanish for ‘bear.’
For a Female Dog
- Briana – Irish for ‘strong, honorable.’
- Bridget – Gaelic for ‘power, strength.’
- Donna – Italian for ‘lady.’
- Eowyn – Old English for ‘horse joy.’
- Matilda – Old German for ‘mighty in battle.’
- Sarabi – Swahili for ‘mirage.’
- Toro – Spanish for ‘bull.’
- Valerie – Latin for ‘health, strength.’
- Zelda – short for Griselda, a Germanic name meaning ‘strong woman.’
- Ziva – Hebrew for ‘radiance.’
What do you think is the most powerful or meaningful dog name you could give your pup? Out of those, we believe that Berkut, Groot, Valerie and Ziva are the most unique and tough-sounding.
Punny Names for Strong Dogs
Last but not least, here are some names that are both strong and humorous. If you have a sense of humor and want your dog’s name to reflect that, then consider one of these options! Most of them work equally well for female and male dogs.
- Barbell – for an adventurous pup;
- Sir Barkalot – for a knight in furry armor;
- Bruiser – for the strongest of pups;
- Brawny – for a pup who is strong and brave;
- Bullet – for a pup who is swift and agile;
- Chunk – for a pup with a strong build;
- Macho – for a pup who loves to show off;
- Mad Max – for a pup who is ready for the apocalypse;
- Muscle – for a pup who’s strong and lean;
- Tank – for a pup with an unbreakable spirit.
How do these sound to you? They may not be particularly funny on their own, but if your dog looks muscular or intimidating, you’ll get a lot of comments on how well the name fits them!
Choosing the Perfect Name for Your Strong Dog
When it comes to giving your puppy a tough name, there are many options available. Do you want to pay tribute to an important symbol of strength? Or will you simply give your dog a powerful name that reflects their breed and physique?
There are many strong dog names to choose from, so don’t feel like you have to pick just one. Instead, consider all of your options and go with the name that feels right for your pup. No matter what you decide, all that matters is that you enjoy calling your dog by their new name.
Have we missed a brilliant idea for a strong dog name? Tell us in the comments below!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Tough Dog Name?
Some examples of tough dog names are Bandit, Gator, Killer, Rambo and Tank. These names reflect a pup’s strength and courage, so they are perfect for guard dogs or any pup with a strong personality.
What Is an Alpha Dog Name?
An alpha dog name is one that reflects a pup’s natural leadership qualities. Examples of alpha dog names are Alpha, Cora, and Valkyrie. These names evoke a sense of power and strength, making them perfect for any pup who has taken the lead in your household.
What Is a Unique Dog Name?
A unique dog name is one that stands out from the crowd. Examples of unique dog names are Dona, Faramir, Groot and Zelda. These names are both strong and memorable, so they will make your pup stand out in a crowd.
What Dog Name Means Fighter?
Some good examples of dog names that mean fighter are Ares, Bruce, Khan, and Matilda. These names evoke strength and courage, so they are perfect for any pup who loves to fight or protect.
What Dog Name Means Leader?
Some good examples of dog names that mean leader are Alpha, Briana, Neptune and Odin. These names reflect a pup’s natural leadership qualities, making them perfect for a pup who is always taking charge.
- Mean Dog Names | 40+ Fierce and Badass Tough Dog Names
- Powerful Female Cat Names: 70 Ideas for Feminine and Sassy Kitties
- Strong Female Dog Names: 37 Tough Women to Name Your Girl Dog After
- Viking Dog Names: Ideas Inspired by Norse Mythology and Warrior Culture
- Badass Dog Names for Tough Dogs (Male and Female)
- Dog Names That Start With ‘A’: Unique Name Ideas for Your New Pet
- Aggressive Dog Names: 14 Best Ideas for Tough and Fierce Guard Dogs
- Female Hunting Dog Names: 60 Feminine Name Ideas for Your Hound