Can Dogs Eat Spicy Food? Overview Of Capsaicin
What makes spice products spicy is the active component called capsaicin. This compound is found in the fruit of chili peppers and can cause a burning sensation in the mouth. Capsaicin is also a strong irritant, and it can cause skin problems if it’s not washed off properly. This sensation occurs because capsaicin activates a chemical receptor called TRPV. The question remains however, can dogs eat spicy food without any negative consequences?
First of all, dogs have over 5 times fewer taste buds compared to humans. This means that their taste can be dulled by the presence of other chemicals, including capsaicin. On the other hand, their sense of smell is very sensitive and they can pick up on flavors easily. So, since their perception of spicy food is slightly diffrerent than ours, can dogs eat spicy food safely?
Most of the dogs would not enjoy the taste of spicy food and are unwilling to eat spicy products. There is really no need to add spicy products to a dogs’ diet. Spicy food is not a part of their well-balanced diet. Large quantities of spicy meal can be harmful for your dog’s health.
What Happens If a Dog Tastes Spicy Food?
Although dogs do not experience the burning sensation like humans do, the side effects of eating spicy food include gastrointestinal upset, such as diarrhea and vomiting. If your dogs eat eat something spicy, make sure they have access to fresh water to help with the unpleasant sensations. If your dogs shows symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea, it means that their digestive system is too sensitive for spicy food and you should consult the vet immediately.
If your dogs have a sensitive stomach or have other health issues such as heart, liver or kidney problems, do not feed them any spicy food. Large quantities can have negative effects on their health.
However, some dogs can tolerate the spicy side effect of capsaicin better than others can. So can dogs eat spicy food if it is not harmful? Generally, dogs cannot, even in low quantities, eat hot products. Spicy food may cause them to have gastrointestinal problems. If you want to give your dog a special treat, consider other options. Jalapenos, cayenne, hot sauce, chili pepper or other hot pepper are not the best meal you can give your dog.
Spicy food can cause gastrointestinal problems and even though some dogs can tolerate capsaicin better than humans can, you should avoid adding spicy ingredients to your dog’s meals.
Do Dogs Like Spicy Food?
Most dogs don’t like the taste of spicy flavor. However, there are some other herbs or spice that can be consumed by dogs safely. If you are still adamant about adding spice to your dog’s meals, make sure it can be digested well by your dog first before including it in their diet. The seasons and herbs that dogs can eat include:
- basil, which can help with stomach problems;
- parsley can be used to help reduce gas in the gut and can also improve kidney function. It can also act as a mild diuretic (help get rid of water by increasing urine);
- mint can increase the flow of bile from the liver, which can aid digestion. It can also relieve diarrhea;
- rosemary can help improve the function of the circulatory system and can be calming for an anxious or hyperactive dog;
- coriander can be used to reduce flatulence and can also calm digestive problems such as stomach cramps, diarrhea, etc;
- turmeric can be used to relieve stomach ulcers, can boost your dog’s liver functions and can improve gallbladder function. It can also help prevent colon cancer.
All of the above seasonings can be added in moderate amounts to your dog’s meal and they are not toxic to dogs. Keep in mind however, that not every dog is the same. Some dogs may still experience side effects of these seasoning in their diet. If you have doubts, it is best to consult the vet before you feed your dog with any of the spices.
- Can Dogs Eat Jalapenos And Are Jalapenos Safe For Dogs?
- Do Dogs Have Taste Buds? They Have a Sense of Taste, But It’s Different from Ours
- Can Dogs Eat Tortillas Safely?
- Can Dogs Eat Bell Peppers? The Benefits of Bell Peppers for Dogs And How To Feed Your Dog Bell Peppers Safely
- Can Dogs Eat Sour Cream? How Much Sour Cream Can You Give Your Dog?
- Can Dogs Eat Citrus Fruits Or Are Lemons Bad For Dogs?
- Can Dogs Eat Green Beans?
- Can Dogs Eat Artichokes?