From wolf yōkai like Inuyasha‘s Koga to dogs who are just regular old mutts, like Danny from Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, there’s a name on this list for every fan of Japanese animation out there. So, without further ado, here are the best anime dog names!
Famous Anime Dogs You Can Name Your Pup After
There’s something special about watching a beloved animal character in the anime world – and when they’re a dog, it’s even better. These pups are some best animated dogs to come out of Japan, and they can serve as inspiration for your own dog’s name, if you’re looking for one that’s fun and original.
- Akamaru (Naruto) – the loyal partner of Kiba whose name comes from the words aka ‘red’ and maru ‘perfection.’
- Bee (Dragon Ball) – a member of the Red Ribbon Army who is ordered to find the Dragon Balls.
- Cherry (Lucky Star) – the white-furred pet of the Iwasaki family.
- Chouchou (One Piece) – classified as a Type B (Small Friendly) creature, he watches over the pet-food shop left by his deceased owner.
- Ein (Cowboy Bepop) – a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who greatly contributes to the Bepop gang using his human-like intelligence.
- Enek (Spice & Wolf) – a black dog and the loyal companion of Nora Arendt.
- Genta (Daughters of Mnemosyne) – a large white sheepdog who accompanies Mimi in some of the most important moments of the show.
- Heen (Howl’s Moving Castle) – the white-and-brown pet of Madame Suliman.
- Iggy (Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) – a Boston Terrier who loves coffee-flavored chewing gum.
- Inui (Aggretsuko) – a dog based on the Borzoi breed and the admin of the Carrier Man Trading Co.
- Pakkun (Naruto) – a ninja dog and one of Kakashi Hatake’s loyal ninken.
- Sadaharu (Gintama) – a large, white Inugami dog who was turned into a pet by Kagura.
- Wanta (Elfen Lied) – a small white dog who stays by the side of Mayu.
These are all four-legged furry friends that would make great anime dog names for your pup. If you’re looking for something a little more human-sounding, don’t worry – you can also go with Mike from Hunter x Hunter or Beck from Mongolian Chop Squad.
Anime Dog Names from Yōkai Characters
If you’re a fan of Japanese fantasy, you’re probably familiar with yōkai – supernatural beings that come in all shapes and sizes. While most of them are pretty scary, there are some you might actually want to name your dog after.
- Inuyasha (InuYasha) – a Dog-Demon yōkai, the protagonist of the series.
- Koga (InuYasha) – the leader of the Wolf-Demon Tribe and rival of Inuyasha.
- Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho) – this may not be a canine yōkai, but he’s one of the most known anime characters of this kind.
- Nube (Hell Teacher Nūbē) – one of the most badass yōkai characters in anime, but not very well known in the West.
- Pluto (Kuroshitsuji) – a Demon Hound picked up by the Phantomhive household.
- Toga (InuYasha) – yet another character from Inuyasha, a Dog-Demon just like the protagonist.
- Tora (Ushio & Tora) – a tiger yōkai released by Ushio from his temple.
Some of these have canine blood in them, while others are just regular yōkai. Either way, they make for great anime dog names. If you want something even more badass for your best friend, read on for names inspired by anime monsters!
Anime Names for Dogs Based on Famous Monsters
We can’t talk about anime dog names without mentioning some of the most famous anime monsters. These creatures may not be dogs themselves, but they’re still iconic enough to be used as names for your pup – especially a strong and powerful one.
- Cell (Dragon Ball) – a monster created in a lab by Dr. Gero, he’s one of the strongest anime villains ever.
- Gauna (Knights of Sidonia) – a race of shapeshifting aliens bent on destroying all life in the universe.
- Ghidorah (GODZILLA anime trilogy) – a three-headed dragon kaiju, and Godzilla’s arch-nemesis.
- Shinigami (Death Note) – the anime version of the Grim Reaper.
- Yoma (Claymore) – a race of muscular monsters that invade human brains.
These anime dog names are perfect for a strong and fearless puppy. If you’re looking for something a little more cute and cuddly, though, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered.
Cute Anime Dog Names for Small or Loving Dogs
If you’re looking for anime dog names that are more on the cute side, we’ve got plenty of those too. These characters may not be as well-known as some others on this list, but they’re just as lovable. They’re sweet creatures that may or may not resemble dogs, but are worth naming your pet after!
- Keroberos (Cardcaptor Sakura) – a small, fluffy creature known as the Guardian of the Clow Cards.
- Kuroneko (Trigun) – a small, black cat that reoccurs in the background of the anime. The name actually means ‘black cat,’ but goes well with dogs too!
- Mokona (Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle) – a white or black rabbit-like creature that has appeared in several anime series by CLAMP.
- Pikachu (Pokémon) – one of the most iconic anime creatures of all time, and a fan-favorite Pokémon.
- Tony Tony Chopper (One Piece) – a reindeer doctor with a cute design and human-like personality. You can easily shorten the name to Tony or Chopper.
- Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) – a giant forest Spirit and the main character of Studio Ghibli’s most popular film.
Don’t these names sound great for your new pup? We hope you’ve found the perfect name for your furry friend on this list. If not, don’t worry – just name your dog after one of your favorite anime or manga characters!
Do you have a dog who watches anime with you? Let us know in the comments below!
- +50 Anime cat names perfect for anime fans
- Cute dog names for your puppy – how to choose the best name for your dog?
- Japanese Dog Name Ideas – 50+ Cute Japanese Names for Puppies
- Best Harry Potter Dog Name Ideas for Your Magical Dog
- Halloween Dog Name Ideas for 2021 – Scary Dog Names for Your Dog
- Dog Names From Movies: Famous Furry Companions From TV and Movie-Inspired Pet Names to Give Your Pooch
- Star Wars Dog Names. Full List of Name Ideas for Your Jedi Dog and Their Meanings
- Cute Japanese Cat Names With Meaning (+50 Ideas)