If you’re determined to name your guard dog something scary, here’s a list of names to choose from. Check out this list of mean dog names for guard dogs and let us know in the comments which one is your favorite!
Mean Dog Names for Male Dogs: Most Popular Choices
There are a lot of great mean dog names out there. But which ones are the most popular? Here are some of the most fashionable mean names for dogs:
As you can see, there are a lot of great options when it comes to picking aggressive dog names for a tough male pup. So whether you want something tough and strong like Brutus or spiky and edgy like Spike, there is sure to be a name that is perfect for your handsome canine companion!
Tough Names for Female Dogs
Are you looking for a unique name for your female dog? If so, consider giving her a mean dog name! These names are fun and quirky – perfect for any pup who likes to be the center of attention. Some popular options include Blitzkrieg, Hades, and Sassy. Other most popular ideas include:
- Valkyrie – a fearsome warrior goddess from Norse mythology;
- Cruella – the villain from Disney’s “101 Dalmatians”;
- She-Ra – the powerful heroine from the 1980s cartoon series “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe”;
- Xena – the Warrior Princess from the 1990s TV show of the same name;
- Cersei – the cruel queen from George R.R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” book series (better known as the basis for HBO’s “Game of Thrones”).
Badass Dog Names Based on Mythology
There are plenty of badass and mean dog names based on mythology. If you’re looking for a name that will strike fear into the hearts of your enemies, look no further than these tough-sounding monikers.
- Fenrir – in Norse mythology, Fenrir is a giant wolf who is destined to kill Odin;
- Cerberus – this three-headed hellhound is known for guarding the gates of Hades and preventing anyone from escaping;
- Garmr – another hellhound that guards the gates of hell, Garmr is known as a fierce and loyal companion;
- Griffin – a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle, the griffin was often depicted as guarding gold or other treasures;
- Manticore – a beast with a human head, lion’s body, and dragon’s tail, the manticore was most often used as pest control or guard dog in ancient times;
- Minotaur – a creature with the head of a bull and the body of a man, the Minotaur was said to dwell in labyrinths deep in the Earth;
- Phoenix – a mythical bird that is reborn from its own ashes, the phoenix is a symbol of strength and rebirth;
- Thor – the Norse god of thunder, Thor was said to wield a powerful hammer that could level mountains;
- Zeus – the king of the gods in Greek mythology, Zeus was said to be incredibly powerful and wise. If you want your puppy to be seen as a regal figure, this is the best name.
Tough Dog Names Inspired by Famous Fierce Warriors
Dogs are some of the most loyal, fierce and hardworking animals on this Earth. If you want to give your pup a fierce dog name that shows how brave he is, look no further than famous warriors. Here are just a few examples of mean dog names inspired by these legends:
- Achilles – this great warrior in Greek mythology was not only fearsome in battle, but also known for his kindness and compassion;
- Attila – this fierce fighter from the Hunnic Empire was a great military leader who inspired both fear and respect in his enemies;
- Atahualpa – the last emperor of the Incan Empire, Atahualpa was able to lead many victories against the conquistadors;
- Ching Shih – though she began as a prostitute, this fearless female pirate would go on to rule a massive fleet in the Qing era and became one of China’s most famous legend;
- Hector – this mighty warrior from Greek mythology fought courageously in the Trojan War;
- Ivan – this fearless warrior from Russia once held the title of Tsar, and is known for his bravery in battle;
- Napoleon – this French military leader was one of the most successful commanders in history, known for his quick and decisive victories;
- Queen Boudica – after her husband’s death, this Celtic queen led a rebellion against the Romans that nearly drove them out of Britain.
Less Popular Strong Dog Names
Some strong dog names are not as popular as others, but they still deserve some recognition. Here is a short list of some less common but equally strong mean dog names:
- Athena – this name was originally associated with Greek mythology and goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, and civilization. It is a perfect female dog name;
- Goliath – a biblical name that is often associated with a giant or something of immense size;
- Hercules – a mythical figure from Greek mythology who was known for his strength and courage;
- Kodiak – this name refers to a type of bear that is found on the island of Kodiak in Alaska;
- Magnus – this strong name is Latin for “great” or “large” and would be a good choice for a large breed of dog like a Mastiff, Great Dane or Saint Bernard.
Tough-Sounding Guard Dog Names
Choosing a tough-sounding name for your guard dog can be difficult. You want to find a name that is both intimidating and reflects the strength and power of your dog. Here are some tough-sounding mean dog names for your pet:
Which one of these mean dog names is the toughest? How would you name your pet? Let us know in the comments!
- 70 Strong Dog Names: Badass, Fierce and Tough Dog Name Ideas for Male and Female Guard Dogs
- Halloween Dog Name Ideas for 2021 – Scary Dog Names for Your Dog
- Best Tough Dog Names in 2021
- Strong Female Dog Names: Name Your Girl Dog After One of These 37 Known and Beloved Tough Women
- Viking Dog Names Inspired by Norse Mythology and Scandinavian Warrior Culture
- Badass Dog Names
- Best Hunting Dog Names
- Outlaw or Gangster Dog Names: 50+ Tough and Badass Ideas for Naming a Pitbull or Another Fierce Canine